Federal Work-Study Program

The Federal Work-Study program is a “need based” form of financial aid that may be utilized by students to pay for some of their educational expenses by working part time, on or off campus. With college expenses increasing annually, many students find the Federal Work-Study program a useful option. Many students find it necessary and desirable to work part time. Students may find they are better able to manage their time, as a Work Study position may fit into their schedule of classes, studying and personal commitments.

This financial aid program is funded by the federal government. Under this program, you must apply and qualify for financial aid and meet eligibility requirements every year. If you receive a work-study award, the amount of the award is based on your specific need and results of your FAFSA application.

Additional information about the Federal Work-Study Program can be found in the [Loading Financial Aid section of the College Catalog link…]

Who is Eligible?

In order to be eligible, students must:

  1. Be matriculated in a degree program.
  2. Have a valid Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file with the Mastrangelo Financial Aid Center.
  3. Maintain an overall GPA of 2.0 or higher (for returning students).
  4. Maintain good progress according to the federal Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements, as outlined in the [Loading Financial Aid section of the College Catalog link…].
  5. Be enrolled in and maintain six or more federal financial aid credit hours.

How to Apply for Work-Study Program

  1. Complete the online application in its entirety.
  2. Your application will be reviewed for eligibility and you will be contacted if you are selected for an interview.

NOTE: Notifications about work-study will be sent to your HVCC email address. Please be sure to check your inbox regularly.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Federal Work-Study program?
It is a federally funded program that allows qualified students to work and earn money to pay for college expenses while attending college.

How many hours can I work?
Your eligibility and job location will dictate the number of hours you are allowed to work each week.

What is the pay rate?
The hourly pay rate follows the general New York State Minimum Wage.

If I've been awarded $5,310 in work-study funds for the year, is that the most I will be able to earn and how will I know I have reached it?
The $5,310 award is based on your FAFSA application, financial need and job placement. This is the maximum amount you can earn for the year.

Below you will find a calculation to show the amounts that can be earned per semester in dollars and hours.

  • Total allocation per semester/Pay rate = total hours allowed to work per semester

You will be expected to keep track of how many hours you are working each week. Your supervisor will also be sent a biweekly report which shows the hours you have remaining.

Do I get paid to study?
No. When you accept a position you assume all the responsibilities of a part-time employee.

Is a Work-Study position different than any other job?
No. You will interview and be expected to maintain professional standards including being reliable, having a positive attitude and work-focused - just as you would in any job. However, work-study provides you with practical, flexible scheduling and provides you with the opportunity to gain experience, often in an area related to your curriculum.

Is there a dress code?
In most cases casual attire is acceptable. However, check with your supervisor for specific requirements.

Is my work schedule flexible?
Yes, supervisors allow students to arrange their work schedule around classes. After a schedule is agreed upon by your supervisor, you must adhere to it.

Is it my responsibility to make up hours that I have missed?
Yes, you should make up hours you have missed. If you continually miss hours you may be disciplined or terminated.

My academic load has made it necessary for me to cut back the number of hours I work each week. Whom should I contact?
You should inform your supervisor and discuss a schedule that works for both of you. You should also inform the Mastrangelo Financial Aid Center at (518) 629-7150 or the Center for Careers and Transfer at (518) 629-7326.

How do I get paid?
You will be paid bi-weekly. Paychecks can be picked up at the Cashier's Office. You are responsible for submitting your timesheets on time. When you turn in your Payroll Authorization, you will be given timesheets and a schedule of payroll dates with timesheet submission deadlines.

Are Work-Study earnings taxable?
Yes. You may be required to file a tax return if your total earnings for the year meet the tax filing requirements. Please contact a tax professional with any questions.

Do I have to reapply for Work-Study next year?
Yes, you must also complete a FAFSA each year so your eligibility can be determined.

List of On-Campus and Off-Campus Employers

The following is a listing of sites that have previously or currently employed work-study students.

On-Campus Offices/Departments:

  • Admissions
  • Athletics (multiple offices)
  • Business Advisement Center
  • Center for Careers and Transfer
  • Center for Professional Excellence
  • Civil/Construction Technologies
  • Computer Learning Center
  • Dental Hygiene
  • Education and Social Sciences
  • EOP
  • Financial Aid
  • Finance
  • Foundation
  • Graphics
  • Library (multiple openings)
  • Learning Assistance Center
  • Media Equipment
  • Mortuary Science
  • Nursing
  • Physical Plant
  • Receiving
  • Respiratory Care
  • Student Activities
  • Technical Services
  • Video Services
  • Viking Childcare


  • Capital Roots
  • Hope 7
  • Lansingburgh Boys Club
  • Troy Boys and Girls Club
  • Troy Savings Bank Music Hall

Get in Touch

Center for Careers and Transfer
Siek Campus Center, Suite 290

Regular Hours: Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Summer 2024 Hours (May 20 - July 26): Monday – Thursday, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.; Friday, Closed