Meet Taison A.

Autobody Repair graduate

${alt}
“Coming to HVCC, I learned not just how to start, but how to complete what I started.”

Autobody Repair graduate Taison Adams knew from a young age that he wanted a career in the automotive industry. He began working on cars when he was 14 years old and bought his first car before he even learned how to drive.

After getting his start at FD Auto Sales, his interest and skills in the field really took off. He went on to create a few small autobody repair businesses of his own, including one called “Carss” in 2015. However, the company quickly began to face some major setbacks.

“I tried to do too much, too fast,” said Taison. “Looking back, I wish I had taken smaller steps to achieve bigger goals.”

The downfall of Taison’s business led him to face many personal and financial challenges. As a single dad, he knew he needed to make a change and create a better life for himself and his children.

He then discovered the Capital District Education Opportunity Center, a division of Hudson Valley Community College, which offers tuition-free academic and workforce development opportunities to those who qualify. Although there were no automotive programs offered at the EOC, Tasion also had an interest in welding, so he decided to take that route instead.

He graduated from the EOC’s welding program in 2022 with a new, positive outlook on life and plans to look for a job in the field. But after some self-reflection, Taison realized that the EOC was just a “starter kit” for him, and he was motivated to keep going.

He decided to continue his academic journey at Hudson Valley, but after learning the welding program was full, he ended up pursuing an Autobody Repair degree, returning to his love of cars.

Taison has had a very positive experience in the program and at Hudson Valley as a whole.

“I am in love with the program here,” Taison said. “I wish I did this 30 years ago, but better late than never.”

Being a full-time student and full-time parent of an 11-year-old and a 16-year-old has come with some challenges along the way, but Taison said the experience has really helped improve his work ethic.

“I wake up at 5 a.m., drop my kids off to school, go to class, go to work, and then pick them up,” he said. “They also go to afterschool programs. It’s been challenging, but it really just became habit, and it’s been worth it.”

He also became a part of the Success Amongst Student Parents (SASP) Program on campus, which offers students who are single parents a support system of services to help them navigate school and family responsibilities.

Thankful for the ongoing support and encouragement from his kids, his aunts, and all of his professors, Taison is eager to graduate with the Class of 2024, and looking ahead, he feels he has so many great career options.

Based on his recent work experience and union training, Taison said he already has a job lined up in a local union. But after attending the college’s applied technologies career fair, he realized that there are so many other paths he could take, whether that be working for a large dealership, a small body shop, or growing his current business, called Powerhouse Motors Welding.

In addition to pursuing a career, he said that he would also love to come back to HVCC and take the Electric and Autonomous Vehicle courses to learn how to work on electric cars, too.

“The future is promising,” Taison said. “I came close to failing, but I didn’t give up. I’ve come a long way in a short time, and I’m just so thankful that I came to HVCC. There’s more hope than ever before, and I’m excited to see what’s next.”