Meet McKayla D.

Health Information Technology and Management graduate

${alt}
“The campus is accessible, and the teachers really want to make sure the students succeed.”

McKayla Dias may have been born with spina bifida -- but she was also born with a drive to succeed.

“I came to Hudson Valley because I always wanted to major in the medical field,” McKayla said. “I’ve always had challenges throughout school, but being able to overcome them is what inspired me to pursue my degree. Growing up I have always been told I can do anything I want as long as I put my mind to it.”

McKayla graduated in 2019 from Hudson Valley with an associate degree in Health Information Management and Technology. She plans to look for full-time work as a medical receptionist, with the ultimate goal of helping others who are living with spina bifida and other medical conditions. But she says she’ll remember her time at the college fondly.

“I gave campus tours for the Admissions Office, which I could never see myself doing, but it happened and I did it to the best of my ability, even if it meant going backwards so I didn’t have to feel I was ignoring the group or wasn’t interacting with them,” she said.

“It was my privilege to work for the best supervisor someone could ever ask for! [Assistant Director of Admissions] Melissa Coon was there for me whenever I needed her and she was like a second mom to me. The campus is accessible, and the teachers really want to make sure the students succeed. I appreciate all the faculty, staff, friends and family for always being there, believing in me and supporting me through everything. I’m so proud to be graduating from Hudson Valley.”