Applying for Financial Aid

Award Letters

Once your FAFSA data is received and any requested verification documents have been received, the Mastrangelo Financial Aid Center will send an email to your Hudson Valley Community College email account with your SUNY Award Information Letter attached.

Your SUNY Award Letter will list any federal grants you qualify to receive as a full-time student, as well as any student loans for which you may apply. If the Financial Aid Office has been notified of your New York State TAP award, this will also be listed on your notice. You may also view your awards via WIReD. Students who plan to attend part-time must notify the Mastrangelo Financial Aid Center immediately so their awards can be reviewed and adjusted.

Degree Applicable Hours
You can only receive federal and state aid for courses that count towards your degree program. An error message will occur when you schedule a course that is NOT degree-applicable. You can view your scheduled courses on WIReD. Tuition bills will NOT reflect financial aid credits for courses that are not degree-applicable. Please review your schedule and your tuition bill very carefully for any discrepancies relating to your courses and financial aid.

Not every student will qualify for a Pell and/or TAP grant, or be eligible for a grant large enough to meet their educational costs. Students who need additional funds to meet their financial need may apply for:

  • Federal Direct Student Loan
    This loan allows students to borrow money from the federal government to help pay for their educational expenses. Instructions for accepting your loan will be available in WIReD.

    You may check the status of your loan application five days after submitting your application on WIReD or by calling the Mastrangelo Financial Aid Center at (518) 629-7150.

  • Federal Direct Parent Loan Program (PLUS)
    This loan allows parents to borrow money from the federal government to help pay for their child’s educational expenses. Federal Direct Parent Loan Program (PLUS) Application (available on Forms page)

  • Alternative Loans
  • Scholarships
  • Paying Your Bill
Loan Programs