Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know what courses are considered degree-applicable for federal and state financial aid?
When you make your schedule, any courses that are not applicable to your degree are identified. You can also run DegreeWorks in WIReD or request a degree audit at the Registrar's Office. Please request assistance from your advisor and the Financial Aid Office if you have concerns about your courses.

Can I repeat previously passed courses and how does this affect my federal and state financial aid?
You should discuss the need for repeating courses with your advisor AND the Financial Aid Office. You may need to schedule the class to be repeated IN ADDITION to 12 degree-applicable credit hours for your financial aid to not be affected. Repeating courses can also affect your Satisfactory Academic Progress for future financial aid.

Can I receive federal financial aid for the 24 credit hour program?
Students who first enroll in a degree program on or after July 1, 2012 MUST have a high school diploma or a recognized equivalent (i.e. a NYS High School Equivalency Diploma) in order to receive federal financial aid. Students may receive state aid if they pass an approved Ability to Benefit test.

How do I apply for financial aid?
In order to receive any federal student aid (including Stafford Loans) or state aid (TAP) you must complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) form. FAFSA forms can be completed at For New York State residents, there is a direct link from the FAFSA website to the NYS Student Aid Payment Application website. For detailed instructions, click here. Students and families may utilize our computer lab, located off the Guenther Enrollment Services Center main lobby, to complete a FAFSA form with assistance from one of our counselors.

What are the Hudson Valley Community College school codes?
The federal (FAFSA) school code is 002868 and the state (TAP) school code is 2080.

Is there a charge to file a FAFSA form?
There is no charge to file a FAFSA form. Students can complete a FAFSA form, free of charge, at

When do I file for financial aid?
A FAFSA can be filed as early as October 1 for the upcoming fall semester. Ideally, a FAFSA form should be completed by April 15 for the fall semester or October 1 for the spring semester.

Do I need to file a new FAFSA each year?
Yes. A new FAFSA form must be completed for each new academic year. Students who have previously completed a FAFSA form may be eligible to file a Renewal FAFSA at Personal information from the previous form already will be on the renewal form for the student to review/change. Updated income information will be required.

What kind of financial aid is available?
There are a variety of financial aid programs, including grants and student loans, offered by both the federal government and New York State (for New York State residents). For more information on these programs, click here.

Do I have to pay back financial aid?
Grants or scholarships do not have to be repaid. Student loans, should you borrow them, have to be repaid.

I don’t think I will qualify for federal grants. Should I still fill out a FAFSA form?
Yes! The FAFSA form is required for students who are interested in participating in the Federal Direct Student Loan Program. Also, in order to apply for a New York State TAP award, you must file a FAFSA form. Although you may not be eligible for a federal grant (Pell), you could still receive a state grant (TAP). Some scholarship applications also require the completion of a FAFSA.

Can I use my financial aid awards for housing and other expenses?
Your financial aid awards are based on your total cost of attendance at Hudson Valley Community College including tuition, fees, books and supplies, transportation, room and board and personal expenses. Your financial aid awards will first be applied to your tuition and fees. If there is any remaining amount, it will be refunded to you at various times throughout the semester depending on the type of aid you are receiving. These refunds may be used for educational expenses above and beyond your tuition and fees, including housing. Depending on your refund schedule, you should be prepared to pay security deposits and possibly the first few months of rent out-of-pocket. Once your financial aid is determined, you may contact the Cashier’s Office for a schedule of your anticipated refund dates and amounts. For specific information regarding your available aid, please contact the Mastrangelo Financial Aid Center.

Where can I get information about the Federal Work Study Program?
Once your FAFSA has been processed and you have received your award letter, contact the Mastrangelo Financial Aid Center to determine your eligibility for the work study program. If you are eligible for the program, there is an online form and an interview process prior to being accepted into the program.

How do I apply for the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP)?
The EOP stipend helps fund college expenses. To receive EOP, students must be accepted into the Educational Opportunity Program in their first semester of study and meet New York State financial eligibility guidelines. Hudson Valley Community College has a separate office designated to handle EOP. For more information, click here.

How do drug convictions affect federal aid eligibility?
By law, some students who have drug-related convictions under any federal or state law may be ineligible for federal student aid. For more information, see the [Loading Financial Aid link…] section of the College Catalog.

Do all drug convictions count?
No, do not count any conviction that was reversed, set aside, or removed from your record. Also, do not count any conviction that occurred before you turned 18, unless you were prosecuted as an adult.

Alcohol and tobacco are not illegal drugs under this law.

If I have drug convictions, should I still apply for student aid?
Yes, even if you have drug convictions, you should completed and submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You may be eligible, depending on the date and number of convictions.

Even if you are ineligible for federal student aid, you should complete and submit your FAFSA. Many states and schools use information from the FAFSA, and you may still be eligible for scholarships or other types of aid from other programs. There may be a way that you can regain eligibility for the federal programs no matter how many or what type of drug convictions you have. (You must successfully complete an acceptable drug rehabilitation program that meets the standards set by Congress and the Department of Education.)

How can I get more information about drug convictions?
If you still have questions about the law, call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243). Your personal information is confidential, and you will remain anonymous.