Center for Careers and Employment
Federal Work-Study Program
Federal Work Study Brochure


Contact Information

Center for Careers and Employment
(518) 629-7326

Mastrangelo Financial Aid Center
(518) 629-7150


How to Apply for Work-Study Program

  1. Before you fill out a work-study application you must go to the Mastrangelo Financial Aid Center to see if you are eligible to participate in the program.

  2. Once the Mastrangelo Financial Aid Center has determined that you are eligible for the Work-Study Program, fill out an application and turn it in to the Mastrangelo Financial Aid Center.

  3. Your application will be reviewed and if you are chosen to be interviewed for a position you will be contacted via e-mail or telephone.

  4. The e-mail will request that you call to schedule an interview appointment at the Mastrangelo Financial Aid Center located in Gunther Enrollment Services Center, room 110.

Back to top

What is the Federal Work-Study program?

The Federal Work-Study program is a “need based” form of financial aid that may be utilized by students to pay for some of their educational expenses by working part time, on or off campus. With college expenses increasing annually, many students find the Federal Work-Study program a useful option. Many students find it necessary and desirable to work part time. Many students may find they are better able to manage their time, as a Work Study position may fit into their schedule of classes, studying and personal commitments.

This financial aid program is funded by the federal government. Under this program, you must apply and qualify for financial aid and meet eligibility requirements every year. If you receive a work-study award, the amount of the award is based on your specific need and results of your FAFSA application.

Back to top

Who is Eligible?

Eligibility for Federal Work-Study is automatically determined for all students who complete the FAFSA.

Back to top

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Federal Work-Study program?
It is a federally funded program that allows qualified students to work and earn money to pay for college expenses while attending college.

Can I work as many hours as I want?
No, you cannot earn more than your FWS award. The maximum hours per week you may work during enrollment periods are 20. During non-enrollment periods, you may work up to 35 hours per week.

What do I need to do to keep my award?
You must be enrolled in and maintain at least half-time enrollment to participate in the program. You must meet all the eligibility criteria required for receipt of federal aid.Academically, you must maintain at least a 2.0 GPA in order to qualify. You must also meet Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements, as listed in the college catalog.

I’ve been awarded $3,600 in work-study funds for the year. Is that the most I will be able to earn and how will I know I have reached it?
The $3,600 award was based on your FAFSA application and financial need. This is the maximum amount you can earn for the year. Below you will find the calculation to show the amounts that can be earned per semester in dollars and hours. Hours allocated to the FWS placement can also affect a work-stufy award.
Total allocation per semester= $1800
Rate of compensation per hour = $8
($1800/$8 = 225 hours allowed to work per semester)

Do I get paid to study?
No! When you accept a position you assume all the responsibilities of a part-time employee.

My academic load has made it necessary for me to cut back the number of hours I work each week. Whom should I contact?
You should inform your supervisor and discuss a schedule that works for both of you. You should also inform the Mastrangelo Financial Aid Center at (518) 629-7150 or the Center for Careers and Employment at (518) 629-7326.

What is the pay rate?
Currently, the pay rate is $8 per hour.

How do I get paid?
You will be paid bi-weekly. Paychecks can be picked up at the Cashier’s Office. You are responsible for submitting your timesheets on time. Timesheet submission dates and pay dates are listed on the back of all timesheets.

Is working for Work-Study any different than any other job?
You are to be professional, reliable, honest, and cooperative and maintain acceptable attendance records, just as you would in any job. However, work-study provides you with practical, flexible scheduling and provides you with the opportunity to gain experience, often in an area related to your curriculum.

Is there a dress code?
In most cases casual attire is acceptable. However, check with your supervisor for specific requirements.

Are FWS earnings taxable?
Yes. You may be required to file a tax return if your total earnings for the year meet the tax filing requirements. Please contact an accountant with any questions.

When do I start working?
You may start working the first day of classes each semester, as long as your authorization form has been signed by your supervisor and submitted to the Mastrangelo Financial Aid Center. Students are not allowed to work during final exam weeks.

Do I have to reapply for Work-Study next year?
Yes, you must complete a FAFSA each year so your eligibility can be determined.

Is my work schedule flexible?
Yes, supervisors allow students to arrange their work schedule around classes. After a schedule is agreed upon by your supervisor, you must adhere to it.

Is it my responsibility to make up hours that I have missed?
Yes, you should make up hours you have missed. If you continually miss hours you may be disciplined and terminated.

Back to top

List of On-Campus and Off-Campus Employers

The following is a listing of sites that have previously employed work-study students:

On-Campus Offices/Departments
  • Admissions
  • Athletics (multiple offices)
  • Biology Lab
  • Center for Careers and Employment
  • Center for Effective Teaching
  • Chemistry and Physics
  • Civil/Construction Technologies
  • Computer Learning Center
  • Dental Hygiene
  • EOP
  • Financial Aid
  • Finance
  • Foundation
  • Graphics
  • Health Services
  • History, Philosophy, and Social Sciences
  • Individual Studies/Liberal Arts
  • International Student Services
  • Instructional Media Center
  • Library (multiple openings)
  • Learning Assistance Center
  • Media Equipment
  • Mortuary Science
  • Nursing
  • Physical Plant
  • President’s Office
  • Receiving
  • School of Business Advisement
  • Student Activities
  • Teacher Preparation
  • Technical Services
  • Video Services
  • Word Processing
  • Viking Childcare
  • East Greenbush YMCA
  • Lansingburg Boys Club
  • Vanderhyden Hall

Back to top

Additional Information

Click here for more information about the Federal Work-Study Program from the college catalog.

Back to top