The Physical Education Studies degree provides a foundation of liberal arts and physical education courses that prepare you for transfer to a four-year institution. With hands-on, academic advisement, you can pursue upper-level programs related to physical education, health education, sports medicine, exercise science and recreation.
Students in our Physical Education program take advantage of exemplary athletic and teaching facilities, including a state-of-the-art exercise physiology laboratory and three fitness rooms that include Cybex and Lifetime fitness equipment, as well as a new cutting edge paramount functional trainer and touch screen displays on cardio equipment.
The program is offered through the Health, Physical Education and Exercise Studies Department, which also offers several other related academic programs: Coaching, Fitness Specialist and Worksite Health Promotion.
Health, Physical Education and Exercise Studies Department faculty members also teach for the college's Health and Wellness Institute, which offers open, non-credit courses focused on well-being and creating healthier lifestyles.
- Hudson Valley Community College offers the best community college athletic facilities in the country, including fitness facilities, field house, ice rink and a professional baseball stadium.
- The program is very affordable. Hudson Valley students save thousands of dollars on the first two years of a four-year education.
- Students benefit from exceptional and dedicated faculty.
- The program offers great preparation for sports medicine and sports management, in additional to traditional physical education degree tracks.
- Physical Education graduates have outstanding transfer opportunities, including top schools like Cortland, Brockport and Ithaca College.
- Students can participate in Hudson Valley's competitive Region III/Division III athletic program.
Most graduates of the Physical Education program continue their education at a four-year college or university. Program graduates continue their education at a variety of colleges and universities that offer bachelor's degree programs in physical education, including Springfield College, SUNY Cortland, SUNY Brockport, Buffalo State University and Coastal Carolina University. Career opportunities for those who continue their education exist in several fields related to athletics, recreation and athletic training.
Program graduates have gone on to become physical education instructors, athletic directors, fitness instructors and athletic trainers. Prospective students may wish to pursue the other certificate programs offered by the department to increase their career options.
For more information regarding this program, contact:
McDonough Sports Complex, Room 206
Like us on
For more information about admission to this program, contact:
Guenther Enrollment Services Center, Room 223
The Health, Physical Education and Exercise Studies Department seeks to support the mission of the college by preparing entry-level students in Physical Education for transfer and ultimate completion of baccalaureate degree requirements. Additionally, it will remain our objective to endeavor to meet the diverse physical activity and wellness needs of the Hudson Valley Community College student body.