Study Abroad

Programs Available


College Consortium for International Studies (CCIS)
The College Consortium for International Studies (CCIS) has programs that are ideal for Hudson Valley students because it is not necessary to speak a foreign language to participate. Courses are taught in English and students may choose from a wide range of curricular options including liberal arts, social sciences, human services, business and marketing, studio art and design. Internships are also available in some countries and in some academic disciplines. All courses are fully transferable to Hudson Valley.

First- and second-year students are welcome to apply. In recent semesters, Hudson Valley students have studied in England, Ireland, Italy and Switzerland. Judging from their rave reviews, it's safe to say that you may find study abroad one of the most academically rewarding experiences of your life. It truly offers an exciting and enriching addition to your college experience.

You can select from a variety of CCIS programs in Asia, Europe, and South America, or from an array of SUNY-sponsored programs. Programs include liberal arts in the bustling city of London, the thriving city of Limerick, Ireland or "the eternal city" of Rome, Italy. For those studying business, you may pursue courses in international business in Heidelberg, Germany, Seville, Spain or Robina, Australia on the Gold Coast. Students of the fine arts may take drawing and painting courses in Florence, Italy or Aix-en-Provence, France.

Back to top


State University of New York International Programs
SUNY International Programs are offered to all students within the SUNY system. State University of New York currently offers 291 overseas study programs in more than 51 different countries: in North and South America, Africa, Asia, Western and Eastern Europe, Australia and New Zealand. These programs range from 2-3 week intensive courses to an entire semester or academic year abroad. Courses are available in more than 100 subjects, ranging alphabetically from aboriginal studies and aerospace engineering to western philosophy and women's studies. While many programs focus on language learning and are conducted in the language of the host country, others are conducted wholly or partly in English. Also see what programs SUNY Albany offers.

Back to top

CDs International
CDs International, Inc. is currently accepting inquiries. As the global economy continues to evolve, international internships are an increasingly important component of any professional portfolio. Through this government-sponsored exchange, 60 Americans participate in two months of intensive German language training, four months of study at a German technical/professional school or university, and a five-month internship with a German organization or business. Internships vary according to professional field and previous work experience. Participants are placed throughout Germany and have the opportunity to live with a host family. Program duration is late-July to mid-July of the following year.

The program is designed primarily for young adults in business, technical, vocational, and agricultural fields; candidates in other career fields, however, also are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be U.S. citizens between the ages of 18-24 at the start of the program. They should have clear career goals and related practical experience. German language ability is not required but is strongly recommended.

Conceived and supported by members of the United States Congress and the German Bundestag, the program is financially supported by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the United States Information Agency (USIA) under the authority of the Fulbright-Hayes Act of 1961, as amended, as well as the German Bundestag. Program funding provides for international airfare, orientation, mid-year and final seminars, insurance, partial local transportation, and partial host family stipends. Participants must provide their own spending money throughout the year.

Back to top

Other International Opportunities
Other study abroad programs are usually open to all students. The Council on International Education Exchange (CIEE) offers study abroad programs all over the world with several college choices in each country. Students can also apply to study abroad programs hosted by another institution.
Image of student on a visit to Stonehenge
Hudson Valley graduate Jessica Kornhaber spent her fall semester abroad at Thames Valley University, London. Here she is on a visit to Stonehenge.

Back to top