Applications and Procedures


Why Study Abroad? Acceptance and Registration
Eligibility Cost and Finances
Application Procedure Passports and Visas
Academic Needs Studying and Living Abroad

Image of The Mirabell Palace in Salzburg, Austria
The Mirabell Palace in Salzburg, Austria

Why Study Abroad?

Study abroad gives you an international dimension and a global perspective. It increases your understanding of other cultures. You gain a whole new perspective on your own culture. Students returning from study abroad programs have said they enjoyed meeting new people and seeing new places. They talk of new friends, travel adventures and of how the experience was personally rewarding and enriching.

CCIS programs are ideal for Hudson Valley students because it is not necessary to speak a foreign language to participate. Courses are taught in English, and students may choose from a wide range of curricular options including liberal arts, social sciences, human services, business and marketing, studio art and design. Internships also are available in some countries and in some academic disciplines. All courses are fully transferable to Hudson Valley Community College.

First- and second-year students are welcome to apply. In recent semesters, Hudson Valley students have studied in England, Ireland, Italy and Switzerland. Judging from their rave reviews, it's safe to say you may find study abroad one of the most academically rewarding experiences of your life. It truly offers an exciting and enriching addition to your college experience.

Back to top


To participate, you need to be at least 18 years of age, have a minimum GPA of 2.5 (some programs require at least a 3.0) and be in good academic standing. Freshmen and recent high school graduates may also apply, given sufficient maturity and academic background.

Back to top

Application Procedure

Once you have selected a study abroad program, you must apply for admittance into the program. The application process consists of:

  • Completion of a two-page CCIS application form
  • Three letters of recommendation from instructors
  • Copies of official transcripts from all school attended
  • A short essay explaining why you want to study abroad

    Back to top

Academic Needs

When selecting a program abroad, it's important to keep in mind a number of factors including your current academic program (Individual Studies, Liberal Arts, Business, etc.), countries of interest and personal budget. Course offerings differ from country to country, so it's important to choose the program that best corresponds to your academic needs.

   Here are some helpful tips when choosing your program and classes:
  • Make an appointment to see your academic advisor to see what classes would be acceptable for your program of study.
  • All classes are taught in English, so you don't to worry about falling behind, BUT... if you are studying in a non-English speaking nation, you will have to take a class in the indigenous language.
  • Average class load is 12 -15 credits.
  • ALL credits are fully transferable to Hudson Valley Community College.

    Back to top

Acceptance & Registration

Acceptance into a study abroad program typically takes about two weeks. A letter will be mailed to your home indicating your acceptance into the program. Once you have been admitted, you should meet with your advisor to discuss graduation requirements. All courses completed abroad are entirely transferable to Hudson Valley Community College. However, certain courses may not be available. It is important to know which courses you will need before selecting a program.

Upon your acceptance, the college will help you get scheduled for study abroad. She will help you fill out an "Authorization Form for Study Abroad" which you will need to bring to the Hudson Valley Registrar. You won't need to have your advisor schedule actual courses, because this will be done though the college sponsoring your program abroad.

For the duration of your study abroad program you will be registered and matriculated at Hudson Valley Community College. This will ease your transfer of credits to Hudson Valley from the college or university abroad. You may study abroad for one semester or one academic year, as long as you complete at least 30 credits of your academic program in residence at Hudson Valley Community College.

Back to top

Cost and Finances

CCIS study abroad programs are very affordable when compared to overseas study programs offered by other institutions. Programs range in cost from $4,500 to $9,000 per semester, but you shouldn't let the cost discourage you from studying abroad. The college's Financial Aid Office is able to take the additional expense of studying abroad into account when determining a student's cost of attendance for federal aid.

This may increase your eligibility for private student loans or federal parent (PLUS) loans. For information, contact the Mastrangelo Financial Aid Center.

Back to top

Passports & Visas

To enter another country, you need a passport. Applying early for a passport is advised because it may take up to two months for your passport to be processed and for you to receive it by mail. To begin the application process for a U.S. passport, you need:

  1. Your Completed Application
    • To apply for a United States passport for the first time, you will need to complete a DS-11: Application for Passport - you can fill out the form online or print out a blank form. More information on getting a new passport.
    • To renew a previously issued United States passport, you will need to complete a DS-82: Application for Passport - you can fill out the form online or print out a blank form. More information on how to renew a passport.
    • Applications are also available from most city post offices.
  2. Proof of U.S. Citizenship and Identity
    Two Passport Photos

    Visit the U.S. Department of State website for information about the documents that serve as proof of citizenship and identity as well as passport photo requirements. Passport photographs are available from most photo stores, copy stores, photo kiosks, Wal-Mart and other stores. Students who are members of AAA may receive passport photos for free from AAA offices.
  3. Social Security Number

Current passport application fees, additional Post Office passport information, and service hours and locations can be found at

Local post offices and other agencies that accept passport applications include:

Troy Post Office
400 Broadway
Troy, NY 12180
Rensselaer Country Clerk
Troy, NY 12180
Main Post Office
445 Broadway
Albany, NY 12207
Colonie Center Post Office
50001 Colonie Center Mall
Albany, NY 12205
Schenectady Post Office
29 Jay St.
Schenectady, NY 12305
Schenectady County Clerk
620 State St.
Schenectady, NY 12307

There are more than 7,000 public places that accept passport applications.

If you need your passport urgently, generally in less than two weeks, you may contact one of the U.S. Department of State’s Passport Agencies. The two closest Passport Agencies to Hudson Valley Community College are located in New York and Boston. All agencies take applications only by appointment. Click here for a complete list of Passport Agencies, and to find out how to schedule an appointment.

A visa is a stamp that is placed inside of your passport that allows you to enter into a foreign country. For U.S. citizens, a visa is not required by western European countries (with exceptions) when spending less than three (3) months in the visiting country. A visa is required when traveling to the East Central European countries. Contact a travel agent or nearest consulate for more information and the necessary requirements. There may or may not be a fee. A passport is required. Processing time may take from three days to several weeks. Start early!

Back to top

Studying & Living Abroad

Traveling to Your Destination
With your particular program, a group travel arrangement may be possible or you may travel to your study abroad destination by yourself. Airfare is not included in the semester costs.

When packing, remember that airlines have very strict regulations on baggage. Airlines restrict baggage to 3 items, including your carry-on. Typical size limitations are: 1st bag 62", 2nd bag 55", 3rd bag 45" (length + height + width). Total baggage cannot exceed 70 lbs. in weight. You will be charged if baggage exceeds the size and weight limitations. In your carry-on bag, carry eyeglasses or contact lenses, prescription medication (with the prescriptions signed by your doctor), necessary daily items, a change of clothes and all important documents such as passport, travel information, and other identification. Never store such information in your suitcases - keep them close to you in a money belt or pouch.

What to Bring
When traveling abroad, students usually bring too much with them. You want to pack light. Remember there will be laundry facilities available. You will also want to leave some room for gifts, souvenirs and other items you accumulate during your study abroad experience. It is always possible for you to ship a box or two overseas before you arrive. Ask your program coordinator for options. A day pack is a necessity for going to school and for weekend trips.

Living Abroad
There are several different types of living arrangements available with CCIS programs. Many programs house international students in homestays with host families. This is one of the best ways to immerse yourself in the culture and to learn the language of a non-English speaking nation. Other programs place students in dormitories on the campus, while others assist students in finding other accommodations such as renting a room or apartment to share with other students.

Back to top