Community and Professional Education

Winter/Spring 2018 Offerings: High School Equivalency

High School Equivalency
This course prepares students to take the Test Assessing Secondary Completion™, or TASC™. The TASC is a national high school equivalency assessment to help individuals address their need for advancement, resulting in a high school equivalency diploma.

Our instructors provide individualized and group instruction in the following areas: math, science, social studies, reading and writing. Using a Predictor Test, we will work with you to assess your test readiness. Students who register for this class must also register for one of the TABE pre-test dates. Please note: in order to enroll in this class you must achieve an eighth grade level on the reading and math assessments. This course requires significant work outside of classroom instruction. Many students will find they need to take this class for more than one semester before they are ready to sit for the exam.

Full payment and a valid Certificate of Residence are required prior to the start of the first class. Limited scholarships are available.

Day Session
53 Sessions, BTC 322
Mon. - Thurs., 2/5 - 5/17, 9:30 a.m. - 3 p.m.
No class 2/28, 3/26 - 3/29, 4/2 and 4/3
Erin Coy, Instructor

Evening Session
26 Sessions, BTC 322
Mon. and Wed., 2/5 - 5/16, 6 - 9 p.m.
No class 2/28, 3/26, 3/28, 4/2
Joal Bova, Instructor

TABE Pre-Tests
60256 Wed., 1/24, 6 - 9 p.m.
60257 Sat., 1/27, 9:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
60258 Wed., 1/31, 6 - 9 p.m.
60259 Thurs., 2/1, 9:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.

Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Where can I go to take the TASC exam?
A: The Capital District Educational Opportunity Center (EOC) in Troy is one of many locations in New York State where you can take the exam. Additional testing locations can be found at:

Q: Are there any requirements to take the exam?
A: You must be at least 16 years old and meet certain guidelines. For more information on eligibility, please visit:

Q: Is there a cost for the exam?
A: The test is free for a New York State resident.

Q: Can I take the test more than once?
A: Yes, you can take the test up to three times in a calendar year.

Some credit-free courses require a Certificate of Residence. If one is required it will be noted.

Why do you need it?
A Certificate of Residence enables Hudson Valley Community College to charge your county for part of your tuition costs. Without a Certificate of Residence, you will be considered a non-resident of New York State and will have to pay the non-resident tuition.

Please note that students who register online will be required to pay the non-resident tuition charges if they do not have a valid Certificate of Residence on file. Once the Certificate of Residence has been posted to the student's account, a refund of the non-resident tuition charges will be issued.

When do you give it to Hudson Valley Community College when taking a credit-free course?
If you register by phone or fax we ask that you send your Certificate of Residence to our office within five business days. Students who register by mail or in person should submit their certificate at the time of registration.

For information on where to obtain a Certificate of Residence, please visit

If you have any questions or would like to register please contact: Office of Community and Professional Education at (518) 629-7339.