Center for Careers and Transfer

International Students Seeking Employment

The International Students Office is the primary support office for international students.
Please contact (518) 629-7567.

Some Basic Guidelines

  • An F-1 student is eligible to work on campus without immigration's approval. Before seeking employment, see the International Student Advisor to get instructions on how to get the required Social Security card. The only positions that are available to international students on campus are designated in the following link as College Worker. College Worker positions are limited in number and are posted in the Center for Careers and Transfer and in the employment database.
  • An F-1 student may not accept off-campus employment at any time during the first year of study. After the first year, the Immigration and Naturalization Service may give permission to work under its severe economic hardship rule if the student can prove (document) that his/her financial circumstances have changed severely at the end of the first year.