Campus Air Conditioning Policy
The Energy Department is responsible for maintaining and scheduling the air conditioning systems on campus. The department shall have all air conditioning systems working and ready to be initiated by April 15 of each year.
When the cooling season is reached, areas will be scheduled as follows:
- Between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 10 p.m., Monday through Friday, and 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. Saturday, classrooms will be scheduled for air conditioning.
- Between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 6 p.m., Monday through Friday, office spaces will be scheduled for air conditioning.
- The Marvin Library shall be scheduled for air conditioning, one hour prior to its posted opening and one hour after its posted closing.
- Campus air conditioning systems shall be scheduled off during college holidays. Those areas with events occurring shall be scheduled per the college’s Event Management System (EMS) or through a request to the Physical Plant. The systems shall be powered up at 12 hours prior to a return from an extended vacation period.
- The main computer room in Higbee Hall is excluded from this policy.
Campus air conditioning systems shall be set to maintain a setpoint of 76 degrees Fahrenheit in all occupied spaces. Some campus buildings are capable of using free cooling (economizer mode). The use of economizer will be maximized to reduce the amount of energy consumed. The buildings with economizer mode are: the Bulmer Telecommunications Center, Siek Campus Center, and portions of the Fitzgibbons Health Technologies Center, and Williams Hall, and Marvin Library. During unoccupied periods, outside air dampers shall be closed and the setpoint shall be 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Temperatures shall be measured at desktop level, out of the way of any airflows. Areas not normally occupied will be scheduled through EMS. If an event is not listed in EMS, contact the Physical Plant at least three business days prior to the event to schedule the air conditioning systems.
Window air conditioning units on campus shall be removed no later than Oct. 31 of each year.
If there are any problems or you witness energy being wasted on campus, please contact the Physical Plant at 629-7356 or submit a work order online.