Human Resources

Employee Handbook

American with Disabilities Act (ADA)

This is a federal law which requires employers to "reasonably accommodate" disabled employees who can perform the "essential tasks" of a job. Please note that employees are also covered under the New York State Human Rights Disability Law. These laws require employers to provide "reasonable" accommodations to qualified disabled employees who can perform essential functions of the job.

Basic elements of the American with Disabilities act are as follows:

  • A disability is defined as a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of the major life activities of such individual, a record of such impairment or being regarded as having such impairment. While some temporary disabilities are covered, temporary impairments which are excluded from coverage include:
    • Current illegal drug use
    • Common illnesses or injuries
    • Pregnancy
    • Personality traits
  • Employer makes reasonable accommodation to permit employee to perform essential functions such as :
    • Making facilities accessible
    • Job restructuring
    • Job reassignment
    • Modifying work schedule
    • Acquiring adaptive equipment
  • Employer need not suffer "undue hardship" in providing accommodation, defined as:
    • Costly modifications/equipment
    • Disruption of workflow
  • Enforced by EEOC with remedies including injunctive relief and monetary damages

Employees are also covered by the New York State Disability Law. The Human Rights law defines a disabled individual as someone who has a physical, mental, or medical impairment resulting from anatomical, physiological, genetic, or neurological conditions, which prevents the exercise of a normal bodily function or is demonstrable by medically accepted, clinical, or laboratory diagnostic techniques or record of such impairment or has a condition regarded by others as such an impairment, provided however, that such an impairment shall be limited to disabilities which upon the provision of reasonable accommodations, do not prevent the individual from performing in a reasonable manner the activities involved in the job or occupation sought or held.

The College has a coordinator for ADA compliance. Contact the Office of Disability Resources for assistance.

Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)

The College is subject to many provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act administered by the NYS Department of Labor. The act applies to wage and hour issues and subjects of regulation include: minimum wages, hours worked, overtime pay and equal pay for equal work. The act allows eligible public employees, such as at the College, to receive compensatory time at a time and one-half rate for overtime in lieu of cash payments, subject to choice by the employee.

Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)

Federal law, which provides up to 12 weeks of job protected leave for:

  • Birth and care of a newborn child of employee;
  • Placement with an employee of a child for adoption or foster care;
  • Taking care of a spouse, child, or parent with a serious health condition; or
  • Taking medical leave when employee is unable to work because of a serious health condition
  • Exigency leave associated with a family member's covered active duty service or call to covered service.
  • Taking care of a service-member or veteran undergoing medical treatment, recuperation or therapy for serious injury or illness (up to 26 weeks in a 12 month period)

Basic elements of the law are as follows:

  • Provides security for employees who have worked at least 1,250 hours for current employer in the last 12 months.
  • Child defined as biological, adopted or foster, step, legal ward who is under 18 or over 18 and incapable of self‐care because of mental or physical disability that limits one or more of the "major life activities."
  • Parent does not include a parent "in law".
  • Serious health condition is defined as an illness , injury, impairment, or physical or mental condition that involves either any period of incapacity or treatment connected with inpatient care ex; an overnight stay in a hospital, hospice, or residential medical care facility and any period of incapacity or subsequent treatment in connection with such inpatient care of continuing treatment by a health care provider, which includes any period of incapacity ex; the inability to work attend school, or perform other regular duties due to:
    • A health condition, including treatment therefore or recovery there from lasting more than three consecutive days and any subsequent treatment or period of incapacity relating to the same condition that also includes treatment two or more times by or under the supervision of a health care provider with a continuing regimen of treatment; or
    • Pregnancy or prenatal care; a visit to the health care provider is not necessary for each absence; or
    • A chronic serious health condition which continues over an extended period of time, requires periodic visits to a health care provider, and may involve occasional episodes of incapacity; example asthma, diabetes, a visit to a health care provider is not necessary for each absence; or
    • A permanent of long term condition for which treatment may not be effective: example; terminal cancer. Only supervision by a health care provider is required, rather than active treatment; or
    • Any absence to receive multiple treatments for restorative surgery or for a condition which would likely result in a period of incapacity of more than three days if not treated; example, chemotherapy or radiation treatments for cancer.
  • Serious injury or illness for a member of the armed forces (including a member of the National Guard or reserves) must have been incurred by the member in the line of duty on active duty in the armed forces and that may render the member medically unfit to perform the duties of the member's office, grade, rank or rating or for a veteran who was a covered service-member of the armed forces an injury or illness that was incurred by the member in the line of duty on active duty in the armed forces and that manifested itself before or after the member became a veteran.
  • Health Care Provider means doctors of medicine or osteopathy authorized to practice medicine or surgery by the state in which that doctor practices; or podiatrists, dentists, clinical psychologists, optometrists, and chiropractors, authorized to practice and perform within the scope of their practice under state law or nurse practitioners, nurse midwives, and clinical social workers authorized to practice and perform within the scope of their practice and perform within the scope of their practice as defined by state law; or any health care provider recognized by the employer or the employer's group health plan benefits manager.
  • Time taken off work due to pregnancy complications can be counted against the 12 weeks of family leave. Spouses employed by the same employer are jointly entitled to a combined total of 12 work weeks of family leave for birth and care of the newborn child, for placement of a child for adoption or foster care, and to care for a parent who has a serious health condition. Leave for birth and care or placement for adoption or foster care if used intermittently is subject to the employer's approval.
  • There must be need for medical leave, as distinguished from voluntary treatments and procedures, and it must be that such medical need can be best accommodated to an intermittent or reduced leave schedule. Elective cosmetic treatments which are not medically necessary are excluded, such as orthodontia or acne.
  • While the leave is unpaid, the employer may allow or mandate use of accrued leave to produce pay.
  • Employer must maintain contribution to health insurance during absence.
  • Workers compensation leave can count against an employee's FMLA leave entitlement, as they run together, if the reason for the absence is due a qualifying serious injury, and the employer properly notifies the employee in writing that the leave will be counted as FMLA leave.
  • Upon return from FMLA leave, an employee must be restored to his or her original job or to an "equivalent" job, which means virtually identical to the original job in terms of pay, benefits, and other employment terms and conditions.
  • An employer may require medical certification to qualify for leave and again for return to position.
  • Employer may ask questions to confirm whether the leave needed or being taken qualifies for FMLA purposes and may require periodic reports on an employee's status and intent to return to work after leave.
  • Leave may be taken at once or intermittently during a rolling 12 month period which begins at point of first day of leave.
  • Employer is not required to continue FMLA benefits or reinstate employees who would have been laid off or otherwise had their employment terminated had they continued to work during the FMLA period.
  • FMLA does not require that employees on FMLA leave be allowed to accrue benefits or seniority.

When use of leave for medical reasons is planned or known in advance the leave should be discussed with both your immediate supervisor and the Office of Human Resources to ensure all contractual and other legal rights are applied and understood. The administration of the FMLA tends to be based on the unique characteristics of each medical case. Early consultation with the Office of Human Resources is encouraged.

When returning from an injury, hospitalization, any surgery or protracted illness, all employees must report first to the College Health Service to submit physician's clearance to resume job duties. In some cases, the College Physician or Health Service Director may wish to discuss or examine the condition. This process is necessary to protect both college and employee. In general "light duty" is not allowed.

Public Employment Safety and Health Act (PESHA) (OSHA)

The College is subject to the Public Employment Safety and Health Act, the public sector version of the Occupational Safety and Health Act, to provide for workplace safety and wellness regulation. The act is administered by the NYS Department of Labor, which receives employee complaints of unsafe conditions, investigates unsafe workplace situations and conducts periodic inspections of the worksite for compliance.

Workers Compensation

Job related injury or illness may qualify you for compensation for loss of income or leave accruals. The college is a member of the Rensselaer County Workers Compensation Pool administered by Rensselaer County and benefits are prescribed by NYS law. Basic operation of the law includes:

  • The requirement that a case be initiated by the filing of an incident report with the college through the College Health Service or the Public Safety Office [if Health Service is closed] and Office of Human Resources to be forwarded to the current consultant, Benetech, Inc.
  • Need to report the claim in writing on forms provided by the college within thirty days of occurrence.
  • Use of accrued sick leave ( or other leaves once sick leave is exhausted) to cover pay while absent until the claim is adjudicated.
  • Awards resulting in restoration of leave accruals and or actual dollar awards in cases of disabilities.
  • Compensation available directly from the system when college leaves are exhausted or the injured individual so chooses.

When returning from an injury, hospitalization, any surgery or protracted illness, all employees must report first to the College Health Service to submit physician's clearance to resume job duties. In some cases, the College Physician or Health Service Director may wish to discuss or examine the condition. This process is necessary to protect both college and employee. In general "light duty" is not allowed.

Long Term Disability

Eligibility for Long Term Disability [LTD] is subject to collective bargaining agreement. If you have any questions on your coverage, contact the Office of Human Resources.

The College's long term disability program provides disability income and waiver of annuity premium benefits only. It does not provide basic hospital, basic medical or major medical insurance as defined by the NYS Insurance Department.

Amount of Benefits

  • 60% (benefit percentage) of the first $2,000 of basic monthly earnings, plus 40% of the excess not to exceed the maximum benefit, less other income benefits.
  • The maximum monthly benefit is $2,500
  • The minimum monthly benefit is $50

Maximum Benefit Period
Benefits begin on the first of the month following six (6) consecutive months of Total Disability, and continues as follows:

  • For a period of continuous Total Disability which commences prior to or on your 60th birthday, benefits will be paid until the first day of the month in which you reach age 65 or until the first day of the month in which Total Disability terminates, whichever occurs first.
  • For a period of continuous Total Disability which commences after your 60th birthday, benefits will be paid until the first day of the month in which you reach age 70 or until the first day of the month in which you have been in a period of Total Disability for five years, whichever occurs first. In no event, however, will any benefits be paid beyond the first day of the month in which Total Disability terminates.

    • If you become totally and continuously disabled on March 15, 1984 at age 40 and you remain so disabled, your benefit payments will begin on October 1, 1984 (1st of the month next following six (6) months of disability) and will continue until the 1st of the month in which your each your 65th birthday.
    • If you become totally and continuously disabled on March 11, 1984, at age 61 and you remain so disabled your benefit payments will begin on October 1, 1984 (1st of the month next following six (6) months of disability) and will continue until March 1, 1989 (1st of the month in which you have been disabled for a period of five years).
    • If you become totally and continuously disabled on March 15, 1984 at age 66 and you remain so disabled, your benefit payments will begin on October 1, 1984 (1st of the month next following six (6) months of disability) and will continue until the 1st of the month in which you reach your 70th birthday.
    • Regardless of your age, benefit payments sill cease on the first day of the month in which Total Disability ends.

Elimination Period: Six (6) Months

Monthly Waiver Benefit
The Monthly Waiver Benefit will be equal to 12% of that portion of your monthly salary base at the commencement of the period of continuous Total Disability which is subject to Social Security [FICA] taxes on such date, plus 15% of the remainder of such monthly salary base. The Monthly Waiver Benefit will be credited as monthly premiums to a TIAA retirement annuity contract [Form 1000.18] and if you so elect a College Retirement Equities Fund retirement annuity certificate [Form C1000.7] issued on your life. The allocation of a portion of the Monthly Waiver Benefit to CREDF will be in accordance with the options then available. In no event will the Monthly Waiver Benefit be credited to such contract or certificate earlier than the date a satisfactorily completed application for such TIAA contract or CREF certificate is received by TIAA. The portion of the Monthly Waiver Benefit allocated to a TIAA contract of CREFD certificate will terminate at any time premiums are no longer payable on such contract of certificate.

Terms you should know
Many terms in your certificate of coverage have special meanings. A list of these terms and meanings follows:

Total Disability – the term total disability will mean you inability, by reason of sickness or bodily injury, to engage in any occupation for which you are reasonably fitted by education, training, or experience.

Monthly Salary Base – the term Monthly Salary Base as of any given date will mean 1/12 of your basic annual salary rate (exclusive of overtime, bonuses, and other forms of additional compensation) receivable from your employer.

Reduction Amount – the term Reduction Amount will include and benefits

  1. Payable on your wage record under the Social Security Act of the United States including any benefits for dependents, or under any governmental program in Canada, as in effect at the commencement of benefit payments, hereunder, without regard to any deductions from such benefits which may be made for work or for your refusal to accept rehabilitation
  2. Paid under any Workmen's Compensation Law or similar statute except for any such benefits to which you were entitled prior to the occurrence of the accident or sickness resulting in the period of continuous Total Disability for which benefits are payable hereunder and
  3. Any disability benefits payable under any insurance or retirement plan for which contributions or payroll deductions are made by your employer. Any such benefits under (1) will be deemed to be payable for the purpose of the group policy unless, after submitting the required application for such benefits together with all proofs required, such benefits have been declined by the Social Security Administration. The term Reduction Amount will also include any payments receivable by you under your employer's sick leave or salary continuation program.

General Exclusions
Benefits will not be payable if Total Disability results from

  • Injury or sickness as a result of war, declared or undeclared
  • Injuries sustained in an accident which occurred or sickness which commenced prior to the date you became covered under the group plan, but this exclusion will not apply to a period of Total Disability commencing after a period of at least nine months during which you are continuously covered under the group plan
  • Intentional self-inflicted injury or sickness
  • Pregnancy, except that this exclusion will to apply to a period of Total Disability commencing after termination of pregnancy

Termination of Insurance
Your coverage will terminate up on the occurrence of the first of the following events:

  • Termination of the group plan
  • Modification of the group plan to terminate coverage for the class of employees to which you belong
  • The last day of the month which is seven (7) months prior to the month in which you attain your 70th birthday
  • Termination of you employment, or cessation of your active service, in the classes of employees eligible for coverage. If you cease active work, without actual termination of employment ask your employer when cessation of active service will be deemed to occur under the group plan.
  • Termination of you required contribution, if any, toward payment of premiums.

Termination of your coverage will not affect your benefits for a Total Disability existing on the date such termination is effective.

General Provisions

Notice and Proof of Claim: On receipt of written notice of claim by the College, the College will furnish forms for filing proof of claim.

Initial written proof of Total Disability must be furnished to the College on an approved claim form within twelve (12) months after the commencement of the period of continuance of Total Disability. Subsequent written proofs of the continuance of Total Disability must similarly be furnished to the College at such intervals as the College may reasonably require. Failure to furnish such proof within such time will not invalidate or reduce your claim if it was not reasonably possible for you to furnish proof within such time and if proof was given as soon as was reasonably possible. The College will have the right and opportunity to examine you whenever it may reasonably required during the period of continuous Total Disability.

The College may require as part of the proof of claim, statements of attending physicians or surgeons, copies of laboratory reports or examinations, x-rays, or extracts of hospital records, and in addition, satisfactory evidence that you have made application for all benefits included in the Reduction Amount and furnished all required proofs for such benefits.

Payment of Benefits: Monthly Income Benefits will be paid to you, and Monthly Waiver Benefits will be paid or credited in accordance with the provision entitled Monthly Waiver Benefit, on the first day of each calendar month subject to due proof on the continuance of Total Disability. The College may, in its discretion, pay any Monthly Income Benefit to any person or institution by whom or in which you are being maintained, as trustee for you, if it is shown to the satisfaction of the College that you are physically or mentally incapable of personally receipting for such payment, and such payment will discharge the College's obligation with respect to payment so made.

Employee Assistance Program (EAP)

Hudson Valley Community College subscribes to the Capital Employee Assistance Program, a confidential assistance program designed to allow an employee experiencing a problem to self refer for two (2) counseling visits designed to provide problem resolution or guidance to an appropriate agent for further assistance. This program is entirely confidential.

Professional counseling services offered include but are not limited to marriage or relationship problems, difficulties with children or elder relatives, depression, grief and loss, stress-related concerns, substance abuse, fear and anxiety, anger management, or legal and financial issues. Capital EAP also provides training workshops at different locations throughout the area. Schedules are distributed quarterly (usually with your paycheck) and are also available on the EAP website;

To make an appointment contact Capital EAP at (518) 465-3813 or 1-800-777-6531. Counseling appointments are typically made within three to five business days. There are no co-pays or costs for this initial contact.

There are affiliate locations throughout the region, NYS and the U.S. and several office locations in our area:

650 Warren Street, Albany, NY 12208
632 Plank Road, Clifton Park, NY 12065
15 Maple Dell, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866

Retirement Savings Programs

The SUNY Optional Retirement Program (ORP) TIAA membership is open to full time unclassified staff members.

New York State Employees' Retirement System membership is open to all employees.

New York State Teachers' Retirement System membership is open to employees in the unclassified service employed in a select group of titles: faculty, librarian or coach title, chancellor, president, vice-president, dean, associate dean or assistant dean.

If you are a full-time employee, you must elect to participate in one of these programs within thirty (30) days of the effective date of your appointment. If you do not make a timely election, and are in a position eligible for TRS membership, you will then be required to join TRS. All other full-time employees who do not make a timely election will be required to join ERS. Part-time employees are not required to join a retirement system.

Once you become a participant in one of these programs, either through election or by failure to make a timely election, you will not be able to change from one to another during employment at Hudson Valley Community College.

Exception: if you are not now eligible for a particular retirement program, and later become eligible for that program, you will be permitted to change to that program at that time. Example: you are a classified staff member and become a full time faculty member; you would then be eligible to elect either TIAA or TRS since you were not eligible for either as a classified staff member. NTPs that change status to full time faculty need to contact the Office of Human Resources on the ability to change systems when changing positions as several other caveats may apply.

The public retirement systems (TRS and ERS) are both "defined benefit" retirement programs. The benefits you receive at retirement will be determined based on a formula, using specific formula factor, your final average salary, age and years of service. The Optional Retirement Program is a "defined contribution" program. The amount of benefits you receive at retirement will be based on the amount of funds contributed to your account, the investment earnings on those funds, your age when you take income and the benefit option you choose.

Detailed information on each plan is available on the systems' websites. You should review these prior to making your decision. The site addresses are:

Standard Work Day

The College has a standard work day with two options for most Classified and NTP employees working 37.5 hours per week: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. or 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., both with a one hour lunch period. It is not permissible to take lunch at the end of the day and leave early, nor is it permissible to take only a ½ hour lunch to shorten the work day. A student, employee or member of the public should always be able to contract a College office until at least 4:30 p.m. Where work demands are better served by a non-standard schedule, different arrangements may be made through consultation with Human Resources.

Time and Attendance Forms
As a public institution, the College must be able to demonstrate that employees are paid for services rendered. While completion of timesheets may seem unnecessary, records of attendance and leave use meet a basic audit standard and must be kept up to date. Timely and accurate completion is expected of all employees. Failure to submit timesheets or submission of false timesheets may result in disciplinary action including but not limited to withholding of pay and/or termination. Supervisors should keep in mind that their signature on the timesheet attests to their knowledge of and confirmation of hours worked.

Leave Accruals

Leave which is accrued on a pay period basis (for NTP and Classified staff), is not actually 'earned' until the end of the pay period. One cannot use the accrued hours in advance of the end of the period. In other words, one earns the bi-weekly accrual by working all the days in the pay period, or by covering those days with leave already on the books at the beginning of the period. The only exceptions to this are in the areas of half-pay and termination payouts.

Sick Leave
All bargaining units have Sick Leave in the event of personal or family illness, but amount and conditions for use are function of contract.

In general sick leave may not be utilized in conjunction with holidays or vacations unless validated by a physician's statement or unless a known condition exists. Sick leave is not a payout item at point of resignation, and may not be "liquidated" immediately prior to termination. The College always has the right to require validation of sick leave use, but will almost always do so when sick leave is being used at a rate which exceeds accrual, or when sick leave is used to extend a break in schedule.

Any planned medical leave, such as for surgery or childbirth, needs to be arranged with the supervisor and the Office of Human Resources in advance and be documented by physician's certification of need and projected dates of absence. See FMLA.

Sick leave at ½ pay is a form of short-term disability insurance available upon exhaustion of sick leave for NTP and Classified staff.

An additional sick leave benefit which is becoming more recognized and important is the use of accrued sick leave to fund health insurance coverage in retirement. While contractual provisions differ with respect to options and contribution, the basic principle for all employees is that the college converts sick leave time on the books at point of retirement to a dollar amount based on salary at that time. An employee then decides how much to leave for health insurance payment of take in cash depending up on the contractual options available. For certain long-servicing employees who are leaving employment but not retiring there are also cash payments for unused sick leave. These are increasingly important benefits which should encourage maintenance of the largest possible sick leave balance.

Personal Leave is available to all categories of employee but amount and conditions of use are a function of contract. In general personal leave may not be utilized in blocks of days unless the employee is prepared to document that its use was actually for personal business which could not be otherwise accomplished. As with sick leave, it is not to be used to extend holiday or vacation periods. Personal leave is not a payout item at point of termination.

Vacation Leave or Annual Leave is accorded to both NTP and Classified staffs and the amount of accrual differs with bargaining unit and longevity.

Sabbatical Leave is available to both Faculty and NTP employees. Request forms may be found on the Office of Human Resources website.

Bereavement Leave is available to NTP and Classified staff in the event of a death in the immediate family. Employees with faculty rank utilize Personal Leave for this purpose.

Leave for Cancer Screening

Employees are eligible to take up to four (4) hours of paid leave, without charge, to leave credits for cancer screenings each year.

Cancer screening includes physical exams and blood work. Travel time is included in the four (4) hour cap. Absence beyond the four (4) hour cap must be charged to leave credits.

Employees who undergo screenings outside of their regular work schedule do so on their own time.

A physician's note must be sent to Human Resources documenting that the appointment was for a cancer screening.

Jury Duty

Although different contracts address the topic differently, if at all, the college policy has certain common expectations of all employees:

  • Upon receipt of a jury duty summons, an employee should notify the immediate supervisor and notify the Office of Human Resources
  • A copy of the jury duty summons must be provided to the Office of Human Resources prior to jury duty service to validate the jury duty leave.
  • When actually on jury duty, the employee must obtain validation from the court clerk of hours served and provide that validation to the Office of Human Resources.
  • If jury service does not take up an employee's entire normal workday, the employee must return to work for the balance of the day. In addition, any time taken for jury duty service should be noted on the employee's timesheet for that period. (Note: Special arrangements are made for employees who work late shifts. Contact the Office of Human Resources for advice.)
  • Public employees are not supposed to receive pay from the court (since you are being paid anyway). Do not sign any form provided by the court that would produce pay for service. Federal jury service is an exception to this rule.

Compliance with this procedure is expected. Failure to comply may result in a charge to accrued leave or loss of pay.

Summer Hours

Summer hours are in effect beginning Monday next following Memorial Day (June 6, 2016) for a period of ten (10) weeks (ending August 12, 2016) in accordance with the administrative calendar. Most importantly, the College and all of its offices will remain open until 4 p.m. and certain offices which provide direct student services may remain open later. No exceptions will be made for offices wishing to close at 3:30 p.m.

Staff of all offices must be assigned flexibly to ensure that the 4 p.m. or later closing time is observed.

Summer hours are a seven-hour workday with a one-half hour lunch resulting in departure from campus one hour earlier than is normal during the regular academic year. This should not result in any conflict between NTP and Classified staff as to who leaves early and who stays later. Supervisors in each office should consult with Human Resources where the potential for any such problem exists.

Please remember; all offices must remain open until 4 p.m. The choice of schedule is 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. or 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. unless otherwise specified by the responsible Vice President.

Physical Plant, Central Receiving and Public Safety staff will be granted twenty (20) hours off during this period and may use these hours up until November 30.

The following is provided to remind you of the record keeping requirements and procedures which were implemented in association with this employee benefit:

  • Eligible Classified and Non-Teaching Professional employees currently scheduled for a 5-day, 37 ½ hour work week will be required to work 35 hours per week and will reduce their lunch period from one hour to one-half hour. Bear in mind that the actual schedule for classified staff will be subject to coordination with the schedules of NTP office staff.
  • Timesheets should reflect actual hours worked. During the time of "Summer Hours", employees will continue to accrue sick leave and vacation leave as though they were working 37 ½ hours. Therefore, charges to these leave accrual categories must be made on the basis of a normal 37 ½ hour work week and employees must make charges to such above categories to account for a full 7 ½ hour workday. For example, if an employee works for 3 ½ hours and covers the balance of the day with leave, 4 hours must be charged.
  • Charges to personal leave, flex time and compensatory time may be made to reflect the 7 hour work day in effect during the period of "Summer Hours."
  • Excess time for eligible classified employees will be paid at overtime rate for work performed beyond 35 hours.
  • Excess time for eligible NTP employees will be paid at special assignment rate for work performed beyond 35 hours per week, and eligible NTP employees will be paid at overtime rate for work performed in excess of 40 hours.

Employees working less than 37 ½ hours per week (part-time) who have been appointed to temporary positions on a non-benefited basis will continue to be paid only for hours worked.

Professional Development Opportunities and Funding

Hudson Valley Community College offers employees a multitude of ways to increase professional development and incentives for furthering your education. Some of these are negotiated in your employee contract and guidelines can be found in all employee contracts. Listed below are some of the opportunities that are available to you, since these opportunities do change periodically a complete and current list of funding resources can always be located on our website.

Tuition Waivers
You could be eligible for a tuition waiver! Eligible employees may request a waiver of up to eight evening credit hours and up to four credit hours during the normal workday. Consult with your employee contract for specific guidelines. Tuition Waiver Procedures

Personnel Resources Committee
Hudson Valley Community College allocates monies to the Personnel Resources Committee each year to support faculty and staff professional development requests. For more information on the guidelines for funding, please consult the Personnel Resources web page.

SUNY Tuition Waiver, funded by SUNY
SUNY sponsors a $4,383 tuition waiver fund that grants faculty and NTPs 50% of tuition, up to six credit hours per semester, at any SUNY Institution. Funds are allocated on a first come-first served basis. Fees are not reimbursable. Contact Suzanne Kalkbrenner in the President's Office at (518) 629-4530 or for more information.

SUNY Tuition Reimbursement funded by Hudson Valley Community College
Hudson Valley Community College sponsors a $47,500 tuition reimbursement fund that grants faculty, NTP and Classified staff 50% of tuition, up to six credit hours per semester, at any SUNY institution. Funds are allocated on a first come-first served basis. Fees are not reimbursable. Contact Suzanne Kalkbrenner in the President's office at (518) 629-4530 or for more information.

President's Innovation Fund
Grants are offered each year by President Andrew J. Matonak to fund innovative projects that explore teaching and learning processes and assessment thereof. The president seeks novel approaches and creative activities at Hudson Valley Community College to enrich the college's teaching and learning environment and/or the assessment of student outcomes. Additional information may be found on the College's website or by contacting the President's Office at (518) 629-4530.

Faculty Workshop Day
The College budgets each year to support professional development opportunities for Faculty Workshop Day in February.

Staff Development Day
The College budgets each year to support professional development opportunities for Staff Development Day in May.

The College is required by a variety of statutes at the state and federal level to provide training to its employees. Where such training is mandated, the college will comply with the law. This may require an employee to attend training sessions and sign certification forms. Failure to comply with such mandates may result in disciplinary action.

College Services Available to Employees

Dental Hygiene Clinic
Located in Fitzgibbons Health Technologies Center, the clinic provides preventative dental services while providing our students with an excellent learning experience. Dentists and/or licensed dental hygienists are always present during clinic sessions and many treatments are free to Hudson Valley Community College faculty and staff. Appointments are required and clinic hours are posted on the Clinic's website.

Food Service
Mazzone Hospitality is the Hudson Valley Community College food service provider. They offer several food service locations on campus as well as catering services for special meetings. To arrange catering for a meeting, call extension 7173.

Fitness Room/Racquetball Courts/Ice Skating
The McDonough Sports Complex, Fitness room, and Racquetball courts are all available to Hudson Valley Community College employees. All have a mandatory registration procedure that needs to be completed prior to utilization of these facilities. A valid employee ID must be presented for access to all recreational facilities.

Employee Discounts
Occasionally businesses will offer discounts to our employees. Currently, we are offered discounts through a program entitled SUNY Perks (use your Hudson Valley Community College email address to sign up). ITS also maintains a list on their website of any discounts available to our employees for software or hardware (MircoUB, Verizon, etc).

Auto Lab
Automotive service and repair for employee's personal vehicles is available through the senior automotive lab for a low cost (parts and lab fee). Appointments are necessary and prior registration is required.