Community and Professional Education
Fall 2016 Offerings: High School Equivalency (Formerly GED Prep)

High School Equivalency/TASC Preparation (Formerly GED Prep)

This course prepares students to take the Test Assessing Secondary Completion™, or TASC™. The TASC is a national high school equivalency assessment to help individuals address their need for advancement, resulting in a high school equivalency diploma. The TASC has replaced the GED® exam.

Our instructors provide individualized and group instruction in the following areas: math, science, social studies, reading and writing. Using a Predictor Test, we will work with you to assess your test readiness. Students who register for this class must also register for one of the TABE pre-test dates. Please note: in order to enroll in this class you must achieve an 8th grade level on the reading and math assessments. This course requires significant work outside of classroom instruction. Many students will find they need to take this class for more than one semester before they are ready to sit for the exam. A Certificate of Residence is required for this course.

Full payment and a valid Certificate of Residence are required prior to the start of the first class. Limited scholarships are available.

See additional information about the High School Equivalency (TASC) Preparation Course.

Day Session

Price: $205
Instructor: Erin Coy

CRN: 50232
53 Sessions: Mon.-Thurs., 9/12 - 12/15, 9:30 a.m. - 3 p.m.
No class 10/10, 11/23 & 11/24
Location: BTC 322

Evening Session

Price: $80
Instructor: Joal Bova

CRN: 50233
53 Sessions: Mon. & Wed., 9/12 - 12/19, 6 - 9 p.m.
No class 10/10, 10/31 & 11/23
Location: BTC 322

TABE Pre-Tests

50381: Sat., 8/27, 9:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
50383: Tues., 8/30, 9:30 - 12:30 p.m.
50384: Wed., 8/31, 6 - 9 p.m.
50617: Thurs., 9/8, 6 - 9 p.m.

Certificate of Residence Information

Some credit-free courses require a Certificate of Residence. If one is required it will be noted.

Why do you need it?
A Certificate of Residence enables Hudson Valley Community College to charge your county for part of your tuition costs. Without a Certificate of Residence, you will be considered a non-resident of New York State and will have to pay the non-resident tuition.

Please note that students who register online will be required to pay the nonresident tuition charges if they do not have a valid Certificate of Residence on file. Once the Certificate of Residence has been posted to the student’s account, a refund of the non-resident tuition charges will be issued.

When do you give it to Hudson Valley Community College when taking a credit-free course?
If you register by phone or fax we ask that you send your Certificate of Residence to our office within five business days. Students who register by mail or in person should submit their certificate at the time of registration.

For information on where to obtain a Cerificate of Residence, please visit the Cashier's Office webpage.