Hudson Valley Community College Honors Community Partners, Distinguished Alumni
CONTACT: Paula Monaco (518) 629-8085 or (518) 378-3835 cell
FOR RELEASE: Immediate
| 2009 Distinguished Service Award winners Judith Romano, Debra Jean-Lashwa '96, Clement Campana '81, Steven Boyle, Dr. Richard Alfred, Steven Bouchey
'78 and President Drew Matonak.
Photo Gallery Available
Steven B. Bouchey '78, president and CEO of Bouchey Financial Group, Ltd, one of the region's most distinguished financial investment firms, received Hudson Valley Community College's Otto V. Guenther Career Achievement Award in recognition of his commitment to the college, its alumni and the Capital Region. Bouchey, of Troy, is a certified financial planner who has established himself as one the Capital Regions most regarded experts in the financial services and management industry.
The Otto V. Guenther Career Achievement award is one of six awards that were presented at the 2009 Hudson Valley Community College Distinguished Service Awards Luncheon, sponsored by the Hudson Valley Community College Foundation and the college's Alumni Association. The event was held on Wednesday, Sept. 23, 2009 at the Franklin Terrace Ballroom in Troy.
Four individuals and a corporation also were honored at the event. For additional information on recipients and photographs, visit www.hvcc.edu/dsa.
The award winners are:
- Debra Jean-Lashwa '96 of Troy, director of activities and volunteer services at the Eddy Heritage Nursing Center, received the 1953 Award for Distinguished Service to Hudson Valley Community College by an Alumnus. Lashwa was recognized for her dedication to the college's Human Services program and her active involvement with its advisory board.
- Dr. Richard H. Alfred of Slingerlands, a Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeon, specializing in sports medicine at the Capital Region Orthopedics, received the 1953 Award for Distinguished Service to Hudson Valley Community College by a Non-Alumnus. Dr. Alfred was honored for volunteering his medical expertise to the college and his commitment to students and athletics at Hudson valley Community College.
- Clement W. Campana '81 of Troy, operations assistant of Physical Plant at Hudson Valley Community College, received the Dr. Frank Morgan, Jr. Humanitarian Service Award. Campana was honored as an alumni who is actively involved in numerous non-for profit organizations, especially the Troy Boys and Girls Club.
- Judith E. Romano of Waterford, department chairperson, Dental Hygiene at Hudson Valley Community College, received the newest award, the Dr. Joseph J. Bulmer Award for Service to the Hudson Valley Community College Foundation by a College Employee. Romano was recognized for her commitment to the Dental Hygiene program, the college at large and furthering the mission of Hudson Valley's Foundation.
- St. Peter's Health Care Services/Steven P. Boyle, president and chief executive officer of St. Peter's Health Care Services, received the Corporate Excellence Award in recognition of the hospital's commitment to the college, its alumni and the Capital Region.
Founded in 1953, Hudson Valley Community College offers more than 70 associate's degree and certificate programs in four schools: Business; Engineering and Industrial Technologies; Health Sciences; and Liberal Arts and Sciences; and workforce and academic preparation programs offered through the Educational Opportunity Center. One of 30 community colleges in the State University of New York system, it has an enrollment of more than 12,500 students, and it is known as a leader in distance learning initiatives and worker retraining. Hudson Valley has more than 65,000 alumni.