Learning Centers
Learning Disability Services

Link to the Handbook for Students with Learning DisabilitiesInformation for Parents

High School vs. College

College can be exciting for you and your child. It can also be a little scary. There is a big difference between a parent’s involvement in the k-12 system and college. There are no more annual meetings where you get to help with the planning of your student’s next year. College personnel talk to your son or daughter instead of to you. In college, students are considered to be adults and are treated as such. Many parents find this an abrupt and uncomfortable transition. Here are some ways that high school and college are different:

In high school:

In college:

Teachers call you to tell you how your child is doing.

Professors will not contact a parent if a student is having difficulty. Students are expected to know how they are doing and to seek assistance if they are having problems. The college is not permitted to release information about a student’s academic progress.

Parents are included in the Committee on Special Education annual review to plan for the next phase of their child’s education.

Students are expected to do their own planning. This includes deciding which degree to study for and which courses to take each semester. Advisors do not consult with parents about a student’s schedule.

Reports cards are available for parents to review.

Grades are sent to the student. Parents see grades only if their child shares them.

The laws governing special education guarantee all children an education.

The laws guarantee a student access to programs. They do not guarantee success.

Students receive help from specially trained teachers during scheduled times.

There are no resource rooms or other segregated services. There is no one assigned to ensure that the student uses the resources available to him or her. The Learning Disabilities Specialist reviews documentation and provides students with letters outlining their accommodations. Students must then meet with their instructors to arrange to receive the accommodations.

Back to top

How to Help Your College-Bound Student

Start the process early. Your student will have to provide documentation of the disability in order to receive services.

Help your student look for colleges that offer programs he or she wants to pursue. Collegeboard.com is a Web site that can help students find colleges that fit their study goals.

Look for a good fit between the student and the college. Does your student prefer an urban setting? Is a large university the most appropriate?

Investigate disability services at the colleges. Decisions should not be based solely on these services, but the kind of support available (general as well as for disabled students) should be investigated.

Encourage your student to take the initiative in researching colleges. They will be required to be independent and do things for themselves. It is better to develop these skills before arriving at college.

Review the College Catalog and Student Handbook with your student to ensure he or she understands degree requirements, registration procedures, satisfactory academic progress, financial aid information, etc.

Back to top

Helpful Web Sites

Transition to College

College Search

Learning Disability and Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Information

Back to top

IEP Diplomas

IEP diplomas are not equivalent to Regents diplomas or a GED. A student who leaves high school with an IEP diploma has met the goals set forth in his or her IEP, but has not met the requirements for graduation as required by New York State. The IEP diploma does not meet the entrance requirement of most colleges that incoming students be high school graduates.

Hudson Valley Community College accepts students who are not high school graduates and do not have a GED. However, the student must meet an Ability to Benefit test in order to receive financial aid, and will be enrolled in a general course of study as outlined by New York State. This course of study requires the student to complete 24 credits of college level courses in several areas including English, mathematics, natural sciences and others.

Students who wish to enter college with an IEP diploma are advised to consider carefully the demands of the 24 credit hour program. Additional academic preparation before entering college might be advisable.

For more information on entrance requirements and IEP diplomas, please click on the following link http://www.ccdanet.org/ecp/resources/suny_and_iep_diploma/

Back to top