Blackboard Notification Procedure
Users = All Employees and All Students
- ITS will send an e-mail to Distance Learning and the Computer Learning Center explaining the need for a planned shutdown, documenting the selected time and duration for a planned shutdown. This will be done with as much advance notice as possible.
- When the planned shutdown has been confirmed by the Distance Learning office, ITS will notify users of the planned shutdown by enabling the Scheduled System Downtime Module that will display a banner viewable on the Home Tab page of the portal. This will be done with as much advance notice as possible and will be removed upon restoration of services.
Planned Shutdown or Unplanned Outage
Extreme Slowness Issues/Unable to Login or Login Page Does Not Display
- There can be several issues that cause this to occur without Blackboard/MyHudsonValley Portal actually being down and, therefore, not detectable. For example, users can still be logged in and working while others cannot reach the login page or cannot successfully login because of extreme slowness.
Since our system only detects outages and cannot detect what is described above, any user experiencing this problem after hours or on weekends, should contact the Public Safety Office by calling (518) 629-7210.
- The ITS person resolving the issue will make manual entries in the Web Services Log and the automated notification will occur as stated in the previous section.
- An e-mail may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by the Distance Learning Office stating there was a Blackboard/MyHudsonValley Portal outage. Recipients will be directed to view the Web Services Log for information and details.