Helpful Hints on Using the New NTP Performance Appraisal Forms
The forms may be completed electronically and forwarded from supervisor to employee (and back) as an attachment to email. The forms may also be printed and completed manually should you so desire.
A couple of points worthy of emphasis:
- IF you are evaluating an employee who is in probationary status, make sure you utilize the probationary form. Contact either Deborah Richey or John Tibbetts in Human Resources at (518) 629-4552 to define the "Evaluation Period" for probationary NTPs; this period may be more or less than one year as we make the transition to the new system.
- IF you are evaluating a probationary NTP, make a note on your calendar at the six-month point during the coming evaluation period to remind yourself of the need to complete the "Mid-Term Report."
- IF you are evaluating a part-time NTP who never attains continuing appointment by virtue of always being a "term" appointment (you reappoint each year by payroll authorization), the evaluation sequence will still be probationary form for the first three years and the continuing appointment form thereafter.
- IF you are rating an employee on any factor as "Needs Improvement" make sure you include a comment to substantiate or illustrate the rating, and it is expected that Part E, summary of the meeting between supervisor and employee, will contain a reference to the need.
- IF you are utilizing Part A, Step 3 (additional job-specific performance factors), a dropdown menu of additional suggested factors may be accessed by clicking on the shaded area which starts out with "N/A."
This year's evaluation efforts using the new system will provide information used to improve the system for following years. The joint labor/management committee responsible for the new system will be asking for your comments after this round of evaluations.
Assistance with any aspect of the new system is available by contacting:
John Tibbetts, (518) 629-4552
Deborah Richey, (518) 629-4552
Sandra Eyerman, (518) 629-7737