Center for Counseling and Transfer
When to Refer a Student

As faculty and staff, you interact with students on a regular basis. As a result of this frequent contact, you may be instrumental in referring a student who is experiencing difficulty or otherwise in need of assistance. To be effective in your role, it is important to be aware of the many student support services available on campus, so that you can point the student in the right direction. Since the Center for Counseling and Transfer provides such a broad range of services, there are a variety of circumstances in which a referral to our office would be appropriate. Following are some examples.

  • A student has lost good academic standing or satisfactory academic progress, and wants to inquire about an academic waiver (see Academic Counseling)

  • A student has personal or psychological problems that are interfering with his/her academic progress (see Personal/Psychological Counseling)

  • A student has questions about transferring to a four-year college or university
    (see Transfer Services)

  • A student is interested in earning college credit through an examination program
    (see CLEP and DSST Information)