College Catalog
Policies and Procedures

Transfer Credit

Students with coursework from regionally accredited institutions* may complete specific program requirements by transferring courses essentially equivalent to the corresponding Hudson Valley Community College courses. Elective coursework may be transferred without equivalency with approval of the department chairperson. The student will only be allowed to transfer course credit for which a grade of “C” or better or the equivalent has been received.

* Transfer credit may be considered if an institution is accredited by one of the following regional institutional accrediting agencies:

  • Middle States Commission on Higher Education
  • New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Commission on Institutions of Higher Education
  • North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, the Higher Learning Commission
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Accrediting Commision for Senior Colleges and Universities

SUNY Transfer Appeal Process

Students who do not agree with the college's decision on the granting or placement of credit earned at another SUNY institution have the right to submit an appeal to the coordinator of the SUNY transfer credit appeal process, Ms. Kathleen Petley, HVCC Registrar, or her designee. Appropriate forms are available from the registrar's office. The transfer credit appeal board will consist of the appropriate Dean and the Vice President of Academic Affairs.

Students requesting an appeal for SUNY transfer credit should be prepared to provide reasonable material to support their case, such as the course description or syllabus in question. The registrar will notify students of the transfer credit appeal board decision within 15 business days of receipt of the completed appeal application. If you do not agree with the Hudson Valley decision, you may appeal to the SUNY system provost. For more information, visit