Hudson Valley Athletes Check In On Latest Region III Report
CONTACT: Jeff Foley or Sarah Boggess (518) 629-8071
FOR RELEASE: Immediate, Friday, September 29, 2000
Hudson Valley Community College's athletes and teams are well represented on the weekly NJCAA Region III athletic report released today. The report includes statistics from more than 30 two-year colleges from across the Northeast.
- Hudson Valley's football team (2-2) is ranked second in total team offense (325.8 yards per game) in Region III and in the Northeast Football Conference. The Vikings are also second in passing offense (158.0 yards), rushing offense (167.8 yards) and passing defense (96.8 yards allowed per game). Hudson Valley is third in total team defense (212.3 yards) and rushing defense (115.5 yards). The Vikings travel to SUNY Canton (2-2) for a 1:30 p.m. game on Saturday, September 30.
- Individually, defensive back Derrick Black (Tarboro, NC) is ranked first in Region III with three interceptions. He has returned an interception and a kickoff for a touchdown. James Muscatello (Cohoes) is first among kickers with 15 points on nine extra points and a pair of field goals. He is also the third-ranked punter (33.9 yards per attempt. Tailback Gary Jones (Ravena) is second in scoring (six touchdowns) and third in rushing (371 yards). Quarterback Justin Kastner's (Hudson) 470 yards rank second. Wide receiver Shawn Miller (Troy) is third with 14 catches.
- Cathy Martuscello (Troy) is the fourth-ranked goaltender among female soccer players in Region III, allowing 0.70 goals per contest. The Vikings (4-2-1) travel to Clinton Community College (3-3-1) for a 1 p.m. contest on Saturday, September 30.
- The Vikings' men's soccer team (5-2) is ranked fifth in Region III. Austin Gagnon (Tamarac) is the third-ranked goalie, allowing just 1.20 goals per game. Hudson Valley travels to Columbia-Greene Community College for a 2 p.m. contest on Saturday, September 30.
- Jennifer Dufore (Ballston Spa) is rated third in blocks (0.87 per game) and fourth in aces (0.83 per game) among female volleyball players. Ebony Addison (Albany) is averaging 2.71 digs per game, good for third in Region III. The Vikings travel to Delhi Community College for a 1 p.m. contest on Saturday, September 30.
Hudson Valley Community College, located in Troy, offers more than 50 degree and certificate programs in four academic divisions; Business; Engineering and Industrial Technologies; Health Sciences; and Liberal Arts and Sciences. One of 30 community colleges in the State University of New York system, Hudson Valley has an enrollment of more than 9,000
students each year, and is known as a leader in distance learning initiatives and worker retraining.