Blackboard Notification Procedure
Users = All Employees and All Students
- ITS will send an email to the DL-CS email list explaining the reason, the selected time and the estimated duration for a planned shutdown. This will be done with as much advance notice as possible.
- When receipt of communication has been confirmed by the Director of Distance Learning or designated representative, ITS will notify users of the planned shutdown by:
- Sending an all employee email to inform the campus community.
- Enabling the Scheduled System Downtime Module which will display a banner viewable on the Home Tab page of the portal. This will be done with as much advance notice as possible and will be removed upon restoration of services.
During a Planned Shutdown or Unplanned Outage
When there is an actual outage (either planned or unplanned), the following takes place automatically:
- ITS is paged when there is an actual outage.
- ITS will send an all employee email to inform the campus community.
- ITS will create an error page indicating that Blackboard/MyHudsonValley Portal is currently unavailable which will be presented to users attempting to access Blackboard/MyHudsonValley Portal through the links on the Hudson Valley Community College home page.
- ITS will create an entry will be made in the Web Services Log recording the start/end time and reason for the outage.
When Blackboard/MyHudsonValley Portal is restored (either planned or unplanned) the following will take place:
- ITS will send an all employee email stating Blackboard services have been restored including time frame of disruption of services.
- ITS will enter the reason for the shutdown in the Web Services Log stating the reason for the outage and the time-frame of disruption; the Web Services Log is viewable by all from link on the Home Tab.
Extreme Slowness Issues/Unable to Login or Login Page Does Not Display
- There can be several things that can cause slowness/functionality/access problems to occur without Blackboard/MyHudsonValley Portal actually being down and, therefore, not detectable. For example, users can still be logged in and working while others cannot reach the login page or cannot successfully login because of extreme slowness.
Since our system only detects outages and cannot detect what is described above, the ITS pagers will not alert staff so any user experiencing this problem after hours or on weekends, should contact the Public Safety Office by calling (518) 629-7210.
- Public Safety will contact ITS staff as per procedure.
- The ITS person resolving the issue will make manual entries in the Web Services Log.
- The ITS person resolving the issue will send an all employee email to inform the campus community, including time frame of the disruption.