Non Teaching Professional Overtime and Special Assignment
Things you need to know to begin:
Q. Is the Non Teaching Professional FLSA exempt?
There is a list from the Office of Human Resources indicating exempt and non-exempt by title. If you have any question, contact the Office of Human Resources.
Q. How many hours are expected to be needed to complete the project?
Q. Will the hours be worked during the normal week, weekends or both?
Q. How much is in the budget to cover these additional hours?
Documents you may need:
If the Non Teaching Professional is exempt, use the Special Assignment Form. If the Non Teaching Professional is non-exempt, use the Employment and Payroll Authorization Form.
Exempt Non Teaching Professionals are paid the special assignment rate for hours worked in excess of 37.5 per week.
Completing the Special Assignment Form
- Enter employee name and department.
- Enter the dates you expect the hours of Special Assignment to be worked (cannot be more than one month).
- Enter the reason why there is a need for Special Assignment.
- Enter the time of day you expect the Special Assignment to be worked.
- Enter the total number of hours to be worked.
- Determine the cost
- Multiply the number of hours to be worked by the Special Assignment Rate ($38).
- Enter the cost.
- Sign and date the Special Assignment Form.
- Forward completed form to area Vice President who will then forward to the Vice President for Administration and Finance.
Non-Exempt Non Teaching Professionals are entitled to Special Assignment pay for hours worked beyond 37.5 up to 40 hours per week. Time and a half (overtime rate) should be paid for all hours worked beyond 40 per week.
Completing the Employment and Payroll Authorization Form
- Enter the effective date (first date of expected extra hours).
- Enter name of employee.
- Enter department name.
- Enter department organization number.
- Check the Non Teaching Professional Classification.
- Enter title on line “Title of Position.”
- Enter Term – Beginning and end date of assignment (cannot be more than one month).
- Under Personnel Action Comments enter Calculation statement:
Please pay Special Assignment Rate of $38 for all hours worked between 37.5 and 40 in a week. Please pay overtime rate for all hours over 40.
- Sign the Employment and Payroll Authorization Form .
- Forward completed form to area Vice President who will forward through the normal Payroll Authorization process.